Meet the SANCB
Empowering visually impaired people to do what they dare to dream
Helping the Blind Since 1929
SANCB is a registered non-profit and public benefit organisation established in 1929 with the core objectives of advocacy and promoting the rights of persons with visual impairments, prevention, inclusion and support. As a South African national representative body for the blind, it offers a supportive, rights driven function to its nearly 80 member member-organisations. The presence of its community work is felt throughout its nine provincial structures in South Africa. SANCB also lays emphasis on the prevention of blindness and in 1944 the Bureau for the Prevention of Blindness was established. Since then, SANCB has grown exponentially, adding Education and Rehabilitation to its portfolio in 1985; the Resource Centre for Assistive Devices and Technology which is now known as the Assistive Technology Centre in 1986 and Entrepreneurial Development and support in 1991.
South African Council for the Blind has four mission focus areas:
The South African National Council for the Blind through a network of about 80 member organizations serves and supports community empowerment; rehabilitation; training and education of South Africans with visual impairments. It also facilitates the prevention of blindness.
Our vision is enhanced facilitation and collaborations with a network of Organizations for the full participation and inclusion of blind and partially sighted people in all aspects of a diverse South African society.
- Provide support to South Africans with visual impairments
- Facilitate collaborative partnerships to serve the interests of visually impaired people
- Advocate on behalf of persons with visual impairments
- Develop and maintain standards for services offered to persons with visual impairments
- Promote the education, training and rehabilitation for the employment of persons with visual impairments
- Help organisations for and of the Blind to deliver effective services
- Gather and disseminate information on matters concerning visual impairment
- Supply assistive devices and related technologies to persons with visual impairments
- Preserve and restore sight and prevent blindness
- Work together with international organisations for the improvement of the quality of life of persons with visual impairments
- Create awareness of the skills, capacities and abilities of persons with visual impairments
- Ensure that blind and partially sighted people of all ages enjoy all rights promised by the Constitution of South Africa.
We Are Here To Help!
514 White Street,. Bailey's Muckleneuk
Pretoria, South Africa, 0181
Mon - Fri: 08h00 – 16h15
Sat - Sun: Closed
+27 12 452 3811
+27 63 686 8098