There are a number of ways to register for the Covid-19 vaccine – but some methods are better suited to blind persons than others.
- EVDS website: https://vaccine.enroll.health.gov.za/ Sign up with your ID number or passport. This site is not 100% accessible to screen readers as not all buttons and controls are properly labelled.
- The Department of Health’s WhatsApp Helpline: Using WhatsApp, text “Hi” to 0600 123456, followed by “Register” to begin the registration process.
- The COVID-19 hotline: Dialling 0800 029 999 might be the easiest and most cost-effective way for blind people to register.
- Government’s USSD code: Dial *134*832# on your phone and follow the prompts. The system times out rather quickly so it’s not ideal if you’re visually impaired.
- QR Code: Government is launching a QR code that users can scan on their phone to register. The code will be shared on https://sacoronavirus.co.za/ and http://www.health.gov.za/